Saturday, July 19, 2014

Bountiful basket day

It's Bountiful Basket day! I was excited to see what we would get in our basket this time. I was hoping for some berries, since we haven't had berries in a while.

We got some! Strawberries AND blueberries. We also received a pineapple, nectarines and plums. For veggies we received green cauliflower, broccoli, onions, yellow squash, brussels sprouts, and tomatoes !!

It is the first rainy, cool day that we have had here in NE Georgia for a long time. Bonus! I can roast them all in the oven. This time I tried using a large ziploc. I put the cut up veggies in it along with a glug of oil and salt. I closed the ziploc and shook it with all my might. I think the oil coats the veggies better than when I put them in a bowl and toss. An even coating is the key to even baking and thus the key to even flavor. The oil seals it in and allows a gentle crisping.

I baked some potatoes and popped some oatmeal-banana bars in the oven too. I had a couple of  leftover bananas from the last basket, so I mashed them and threw in a cup of oatmeal, a pinch of sugar, salt, cinnamon, and butter, added raisins and sunflower seeds. A healthy baked snack.

Of course while it was baking I had a cup of caramel ice cream with caramel on top. Life is good.

5 comments:

Grace to You said...

Thanks for the tip about tossing veggies in a bag before roasting - I've had a hard time getting them coated evenly in a bowl.

Have you ever tried making "ice cream" with ripe bananas? Just freeze and mash in a blender or food processor. I finally tried it the other day and it's amazing how creamy it turns out! We had fun experimenting with different flavors - chocolate syrup, peanut butter, maple syrup, etc.

Have you ever tried roasting fruit? I saw something online today about grilling fruit and wondered if roasting would be good, since we don't have a grill.

Elizabeth Prata said...

thanks! I do freeze my bananas and put them in smoothies with yogurt, in the blender. I hadn't thought about your method. I have butterscotch sauce, I have bananas in the freezer right now. I'll try that tomorrow.

I've grilled pineapple before, but never have roasted. I'll try that too!

Elizabeth Chapman said...

Glad your back! I too enjoy reading your practical and creative ways of using vegetables as well as other stories. I read your other blog and realize of course that it is more important. Hope you won't feel pressure…it's fun.

Grace to You said...

Um, no pressure, but what was in the BB today? :)

Elizabeth Prata said...

lol! It's every other week so next Saturday...which is good because I still have cooked broccoli to eat and uncooked cauliflower, and a pineapple!